Our focus in Stage 7 is to develop effective breathing patterns and a strong legal leg kick for all four strokes, butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke and freestyle. Swimmers will be taught to perform correct starts and finishes for all strokes and encouraged to practice these at all times during the lesson. Swimmers will be learning to dive at a basic level. Working on developing their streamline and developing effective feel for the water and correct breathing patterns.
This scheme of work for this group is created for swimmers aged 7–99 years, they will swim for 1 hour and 30 minutes per week.
Swimmers in Stage 7 will require the following equipment at every lesson:
- Kick Board
- Bracknell & Wokingham Swimming Club Hat
- Drink (water)
- Short/mid length flippers
- Complete and a lead a dry side warm up prior to lessons.
- Perform 50m of freestyle maintaining good timing, breathing and kick throughout.
- Perform 50m of backstroke using the flags to finish on back, with good timing and body position throughout.
- Perform 50m of breaststroke with correct turned out kick (legal kick) and correctly timed arm pulls (leading and to the front of the stroke) that do not pull down under the body.
- Complete 6 arm pulls of butterfly with straight arms clearing the water and correct head position, breathing to the front.
- Complete 25m of dolphin kick breathing to the front in streamline (not using arms) or breaking leg position (no flutter kicks) and 25m of dolphin kick with arms at side.
- Perform a basic standing dive into deep water, followed by 25m of swimming (choice stroke)
- Perform a basic standing dive safely into deep water, from a grab start position.
- Understand and perform correct racing finishes for all 4 strokes.
- Perform a forward and backward roll in deep water.
- Complete a streamlined underwater phase to the flags for freestyle, fly and backstroke.