In Stage 7 Swimmers will work predominantly on their leg kick and technique to develop a strong body position and balance over all four strokes.
Swimmers will also be developing their knowledge of the correct starts and finishes and progress their diving from the poolside to make it safe and efficient. Overall in this group, we are looking to develop effective strokes and good feel for the water, whilst building on the swimmers understanding of the rules of racing.
This group is suitable for swimmers aged 6 – 8 years. Please note, Stage 7A and 7B are the same class, the letters distinguish class times on the timetable.
Stage 7 swimmers will require the following equipment:
- Kick Board
- Bracknell & Wokingham Swimming Club Hat
- Drink (water)
- Short/mid length flippers
Stage 7 A/B Criteria
- Perform a 75m length of well-timed freestyle with a strong leg kick, arms switching with good timing and correct breathing throughout.
- Perform 75m of backstroke starting with a streamlined push and glide on back from two feet (alternate arm pull down) straight arm recovery and good body position throughout, correct pitch for hand entry and finish on back.
- Perform 75m Breaststroke showing correct timing and a legal stroke. Pull, kick, stretch timing throughout the 3 lengths and two-handed finish.
- Perform a legal breaststroke underwater phase, holding each section for 3 counts.
- Perform 25m of Butterfly full stroke with arms clearing the water on every arm pull.
- Perform 50m of streamlined kick for ALL strokes (individually) maintaining good body position.
- Perform a safe, sitting, standing and racing (track start) dive into deep water, with a streamlined underwater phase.
- Understand and perform finishes for all 4 strokes at speed.
- Perform streamlined underwater phases for all strokes, to 5m mark or beyond.
- Perform 100m of freestyle continuously, maintaining technique and skills.
- Perform 100m of streamlined kick, through the IM. (Understand what IM is and order of strokes)
Swimmers in this group are invited to race in the termly Mini Meet.