The Pre Squad groups are at the top of the Academy. Once swimmers graduate these classes, the squad coaches will make a decision as to whether they will be invited to try out for a place in our squads, in the main swimming club.
Swimmers in these groups are training for a number of hours per week, to both improve fitness and allow time for swimmers to learn everything they need to know to pass the criteria of Stage 10.
Swimmers are taught skills with a focus on racing technique and stroke development. The aim in this group is to get swimmers ready to be able to cope with a higher intensity and quantity of training whist maintaining their controlled strokes. So a lot of emphasis is on practising individual skills repeatedly so they become second nature when swimmers then perform them in a set.
Development of correct and efficient starts and turns is a priority at this level and is a central part of the criteria. Overall, in this group we are looking to iron out any technical corrections we see and perfect swimmers strokes and timing to ensure they can excel in the squads they will hopefully progress in to. Without making all the sessions available, there is a risk that swimmers may miss out on important elements of the teaching scheme of work. After swimmers have met all the criteria, if they are the right age group, they will be asked to join the squads in the main program.
If swimmers have achieved the criteria, but not at the target age, don’t worry, we have a number of teachers who also work with the leisure centre to run lessons with more flexible pool time. Swimmers can opt-in and decide how many lessons per week then attend and can supplement these lessons with extra activities such as fitness classes or flipper lessons. All of which would support the right age group. Get in touch here to find out more.
This group is suitable for swimmers aged 8 – 10 years.
Swimmers in the Pre-Squad groups will be expected to compete in the termly Mini Meet.
Swimmers in the Pre Squad groups will require the following equipment:
• Kick Board
• Pull Buoy
• Bracknell & Wokingham Swimming Club Hat
• Drink (water)
• Short/mid length flippers
(Swimmers with no drink will not be allowed to train due to the intensity and length of the sessions)
Pre Squad Criteria
(ASA stage 9/10)
- Complete 100m of Freestyle, backstroke and breaststroke with efficient technique and good speed. Swimmers should perform correct starts and turns with a 5m minimum legal underwater phase on each start/turn
- Complete 50m of butterfly with good technique, 5m underwater phase and correct finish. Be able to breathe every 1 and/or every 2 in practice keeping timing correct.
- Perform 200m IM full stroke with correct turns maintaining efficient strokes throughout the IM and correct turns and finishes
- Perform a basic backstroke to breaststroke flip turn safely in deep water 1.5m for IM with knees tucked up following the legal rules into a breakout for breaststroke.
- Perform 200m IM kick with correct legal efficient turns and strong leg kick throughout.
- Complete 400m freestyle continuously maintaining proper technique throughout and correct efficient turns at every wall.
- Complete 5 x 100 freestyle @ 3.00 – keeping inside the times, with rest and maintaining technique
- Complete 5 x 100m IM Drill @ 3.20 min – keeping inside the times and maintaining controlled drills throughout
- Pass ASA Start Award criteria for diving (Demonstrate a grab start, track start and wind up start in both deep 1.5m and safely dive into shallow water 0.9m/1.1m)
- Perform 15m underwater in streamlined position on both front and back using both freestyle and butterfly kick
- Compete 100m Freestyle and 100m IM in training at race pace to gain a time and compete at the Mini Meet
- Scull 25m head first and feet first maintaining a good speed and body position, demonstrating good feel for the water.
- Perform a correctly timed step takeover safely into an underwater phase followed by a strong breakout.
- Perform 1500m for a session using a specific set.