Stage 8 swimmers will work predominantly on developing their leg kick and technique to develop a strong body position and balance over all four strokes. Swimmers will also be taught to dive safely and consistently demonstrate skills with good technique, learning the legal elements of racing in more depth. Our overall outcome from this group is to teach swimmers a controlled focused technique in all four strokes with a good understanding of racing laws.
This scheme of work for this group is created for swimmers aged 7–9 years, they will swim for 1 hour and 50 minutes per week.
Swimmers in Improvers 3 will require the following equipment at every lesson
- Kick Board
- Bracknell & Wokingham Swimming Club Hat
- Drink (water)
- Short/mid length flippers
- Perform a 75m length of well-timed freestyle with a strong leg kick, arms switching with good timing and correct breathing throughout.
- Perform 75m of backstroke starting with a streamlined push and glide on back from two feet (alternate arm pull down) straight arm recovery and good body position throughout, correct pitch for hand entry and finish on back.
- Perform 75m Breaststroke showing correct timing and a legal stroke. Pull, kick, stretch timing throughout the 3 lengths and two handed finish.
- Perform a legal breaststroke underwater phase, holding each section for 3 counts.
- Perform 25m of Butterfly full stroke with arms clearing the water on every arm pull.
- Perform 50m of streamlined kick for ALL strokes (individually) maintaining good body position.
- Perform a safe, sitting, standing and racing (track start) dive into deep water, with a streamlined underwater phase.
- Understand and perform finishes for all 4 strokes at speed.
- Perform streamlined underwater phases for all strokes, to 5m mark or beyond.
- Perform 100m of freestyle continuously, maintaining technique and skills.
- Perform 100m of streamlined kick, through the IM. (Understand what IM is and order of strokes).