In Stage 8, swimmers progress to 2 x 1 hour sessions of teaching per week. Swimmers in this group will be working on developing a strong fast leg kick for all four strokes and perfect their timing/breathing when performing full stroke.
The focus of this group is to ensure basic racing skills have been mastered to a high level, such as, starts, push and glides, excellent knowledge of underwater phases and correct finishes for all strokes. Overall, in Stage 8, our focus is to develop efficient technique and teach this in relation to racing practices. For example, perfecting IM turns and knowing the stroke order, effectively using turns in training over all strokes and being able to understand and distinguish what is legal in racing practice and what is not. Swimmers will be developing their diving technique and learning relay takeovers.
This group is suitable for swimmers aged 7 – 8 years.
Swimmers in Stage 8 are eligible to race in the Academy Mini Meet/Ribbon Gala once per term.
Stage 8 swimmers will require the following equipment:
• Kick Board
• Pull Buoy
• Bracknell & Wokingham Swimming Club Hat
• Short/mid length flippers
(Swimmers with no drink will not be allowed to train due to the intensity and length of the sessions)
Stage 8 Criteria
(ASA stage 8)
- Perform 50m of Freestyle backstroke and breaststroke with correct push and glides at the start and correct finishes
- Perform basic tumble turns for freestyle and backstroke from the 5m mark and back, to include the underwater phase to follow and breakout strokes
- Perform two handed touch turns for breaststroke and butterfly
- Perform legal underwater phases to 7m mark for all 4 strokes including 2 breakout arm pulls
- Perform 25m of full stroke butterfly with correct breathing pattern and legal stroke – arms clearing the water on every pull and no freestyle fluttering from legs or breaststroke kicks
- Perform 100m IM as streamlined kick with correct IM turns
- Perform an over the top backstroke start with back clearing the water, good head position and a streamlined underwater phase using fly kicks to follow into breakout strokes
- Perform racing dive into 50m of freestyle and breaststroke with efficient underwater phases with correct kick patterns and legal finishes for ALL strokes. 25m for Butterfly.
- Understand and perform IM turns correctly with the right underwater phase to follow – to be performed and tested in a 100m Swim
- Complete 6 (25m) lengths of freestyle with a strong underwater phase, with efficient technique throughout and correct legal tumble turns at every end
WHEN SWIMMERS HAVE ACHIEVED ALL THESE OBJECTIVES AND
SHOW THAT THEY WANT TO BE COMPETITIVE BY ATTENDING MINI MEETS
ONLY THEN CAN THEY MOVE TO THE NEXT GROUP IF SPACE IS AVAILABLE.