The Pre Squad groups are at the top of the Academy and is the first stepping stone into our Competitive Squads.
Swimmers will now swim between 2 hours or 2 hours and 40 minutes a week, with a focus on racing technique and stroke development. The A/B distinction is to ensure we can keep lessons small enough, to continue working on technique. The aim in this group is to get swimmers ready to be able to cope with a higher intensity and quantity of training whist maintaining their controlled strokes. So a lot of emphasis is on practicing individual skills repeatedly so they become second nature when swimmers then perform them in a set. Development of correct and efficient starts and turns is a priority at this level and is a central part of the criteria. Overall, in this group we are looking to iron out any technical corrections and perfect swimmers strokes and timing to ensure they can excel in the squads they will progress in to.
This group is suitable for swimmers aged 8 – 10 years.
Swimmers in the Pre-Squad groups will be expected to compete in the termly Mini Meet.
Swimmers in the Pre Squad groups will require the following equipment:
• Kick Board
• Pull Buoy
• Bracknell & Wokingham Swimming Club Hat
• Short/mid length flippers
(Swimmers with no drink will not be allowed to train due to the intensity and length of the sessions)
Pre Squad Criteria
(ASA stage 9)
- Complete 100m of Freestyle, backstroke and breaststroke with efficient technique and good speed. Swimmers should perform correct starts and turns with a 5m minimum legal underwater phase on each start/turn
- Complete 50m of butterfly with good technique, 5m underwater phase and correct finish. Be able to breathe every 1 and/or every 2 in practice keeping timing correct.
- Perform 100m IM full stroke with correct turns maintaining efficient strokes throughout the IM and correct turns and finishes
- Perform a basic backstroke to breaststroke flip turn safely in deep water 1.5m for IM with knees tucked up following the legal rules into a breakout for breaststroke
- Perform 200m IM kick with correct legal efficient turns and strong leg kick throughout
- Complete a set over 400m continuously maintaining proper technique throughout and correct efficient turns at every wall
- Complete 4 x 100 freestyle @ 3.00 – keeping inside the times, with rest and maintaining technique
- Complete 4 x 100m IM Drill @ 3.20 min – keeping inside the times and maintaining controlled drills throughout
- Pass ASA Start Award criteria for diving (Demonstrate a grab start, track start and wind up start in both deep 1.5m and safely dive into shallow water 0.9m/1.1m)
- Perform 15m underwater in streamlined position on both front and back using both freestyle and butterfly kick
- Compete 100m Freestyle and 100m IM in training at race pace to gain a time and compete at the Mini Meet
- Scull 25m head first and feet first maintaining a good speed and body position, demonstrating good feel for the water
- Perform a basic step takeover safely into an underwater phase followed by a strong breakout
WHEN SWIMMERS HAVE ACHIEVED ALL THESE OBJECTIVES
HAVE GOOD ATTENDANCE
EFFICIENT EFFECTIVE TECHNIQUE IN ALL 4 STROKES
WANT TO BE COMPETITIVE
HAVE ATTENDED THE MINI MEET
AND HAVE A FAST 100M FRONTCRAWL AND 100M IM TIME
THEN THEY CAN MOVE INTO THE MAIN CLUB BY INVITATION ONLY, IF SPACE IS AVAILABLE