Our Age Group Performance Squad is headed by our Assistant Head Coach – Mike Cox who has 25 years’ experience of teaching and coaching children and adults from complete beginner to National standard.
Mike is also a Level 2 Gym instructor and qualified National Pool Lifeguard. Mike has had success at National level with Age Group swimmers and out of his ten Regional Qualifiers in 2016, six achieved their first ever qualifying times.
Age Group Performance
Swimmers are expected to be at least county level standard and to develop into Regional swimmers. The emphasis is on getting enjoyment and satisfaction from hard work and achievement. Whilst we never lose sight of the need for great skills, in this squad the emphasis moves more towards starting to condition.
- Swimmers 12-14 years old and competing at least at County level and have Regional potential.
- Great level of skills on starts, turns and all four strokes.
- Must attend a minimum of 6 out of 8 pool sessions a week (including 1 weekday morning and one land training session). Those swimmers at 12 years old will build up to doing 6 sessions a week and on 13thbirthday will be asked to move to 6 sessions a week.
- Swimmers must have a good determination and work ethic, be well behaved and focused.
- Abide by the swimmer’s code of conduct.
- Competitions (a minimum requirement):Swimmers should compete in at least 6 competitions a season, of which should be Berks and South Bucks County Championships, South East Regional Championships, BWSC Level 3 Meet.
- Be available for team competitions if selected.
Swimmers who do not meet the minimum attendance or competition standard level will be moved to Youth Performance 2 or Youth Competitive, dependent on age and training performance standards.
Promotion Criteria to Youth Performance 1
- Swimmers to have achieved at least two Regional Automatic Times (1 Regional base time and 1 Automatic time may be accepted on occasion as at coaches discretion).
- Must be able to demonstrate 6 sessions per week (at least 1 of which must be a weekday morning) in order to be considered.
- High attendance maintained, with good work ethic and good behaviour.
- Very good skills and a desire to achieve.
- Able to do land warm up and stretching.
- Continual assessment of swimmer (test set).
- Attend competitions throughout the year and targeted meets.
- Be 14 years old.
- Able to demonstrate they can attend mornings.
- Promotion is at the discretion of the coaches.
The criteria above will be at the coaches discretion.
Your squad Rep is: Cheryl Smith
Please contact Cheryl with any questions about training, galas and meets or general questions about the club.