Our Age Group Performance Squad is headed by our Assistant Head Coach – Mike Cox who has 25 years’ experience of teaching and coaching children and adults from complete beginner to National standard.
Mike is also a Level 2 Gym instructor and qualified National Pool Lifeguard. Mike has had success at National level with Age Group swimmers and out of his ten Regional Qualifiers in 2016, six achieved their first ever qualifying times.
The objective of the Age Group Performance Squad is to develop Regional standard swimmers. Swimmers are mainly in the 12 to 14 year age band. In addition to pool time the squad has two land training sessions each week. The emphasis is on getting enjoyment and satisfaction from hard work and achievement. Whilst we never lose sight of the need for great skills, in this squad the emphasis moves more towards conditioning. Swimmers train very hard in preparation for a move to top squad.
- Competing at least, at County level and have Regional potential
- Good level of skill
- Must attend a minimum of 65% of the training hours offered
- Abide by the swimmer’s code of conduct
- Swimmers must have a good determination and work ethic
- Be well behaved and focussed
Promotion Criteria to Youth Performance
- Swimmers to have at least one Regional automatic qualification time or multiple base times
- High attendance
- Very good skills
- High work ethic and good behaviour
- A desire to achieve
- Be approximately 14 years of age (girls probably under, boys probably over)