Our focus in this group is to develop effective breathing patterns and a strong legal leg kick for all four strokes, butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke and freestyle. Swimmers will also be taught to perform sitting dives safely at the beginning of every warm up, consistently demonstrate streamlined push and glides with good technique and learn how to finish correctly on every stroke. Our overall outcome from this group is to teach swimmers a controlled focused technique in all four strokes.
This group is suitable for swimmers aged 5 – 7 years. Groups are kept small to ensure swimmers have the opportunity to take in all of the elements of the criteria and to work on their individual strokes and skills.
Stage 6 swimmers will require the following equipment at every lesson
• Kick Board
• Bracknell & Wokingham Swimming Club Hat
• Drink (water)
• Short/mid length flippers
Stage 6 Criteria
- Complete and a lead a dry side warm up prior to lessons.
- Perform 50m of freestyle maintaining good timing, breathing and kick throughout.
- Perform 50m of backstroke using the flags to finish on back, with good timing and body position throughout.
- Perform 50m of breaststroke with correct turned out kick (legal kick) and correctly timed arm pulls (leading and to the front of the stroke) that do not pull down under the body.
- Complete 6 arm pulls of butterfly with straight arms clearing the water and correct head position, breathing to the front.
- Complete 25m of dolphin kick breathing to the front in streamline (not using arms) or breaking leg position (no flutter kicks) and 25m of dolphin kick with arms at side.
- Perform a basic standing dive into deep water, followed by 25m of swimming (choice stroke)
- Perform a basic standing dive safely into deep water, from a grab start position.
- Understand and perform correct racing finishes for all 4 strokes.
- Perform a forward and backward roll in deep water.
- Complete a streamlined underwater phase to the flags for freestyle, fly and backstroke.