In Early Development our focus is to develop efficient technique over all four strokes, butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke and freestyle. Swimmers will also be developing their knowledge of the correct starts and finishes and progress their diving from the poolside to make it safe and efficient. Overall in this group, we are looking to develop effective strokes and good feel for the water, whilst building on the swimmers understanding of the rules of racing. Swimmers will be aged 6 – 8 in this group and will swim for 2 hours per week.
Early Development swimmers will require the following equipment:
- Kick Board
- Bracknell & Wokingham Swimming Club Hat
- Drink (water)
- Short/mid length flippers
Early Development Criteria
- Perform a 75m length of well-timed freestyle with a strong leg kick, arms switching with good timing and correct breathing throughout with tumble turns.
- Perform 75m of backstroke starting with a streamlined push and glide on back from two feet (alternate arm pull down) straight arm recovery and good body position throughout, correct pitch for hand entry and finish on back with tumble turns.
- Perform 75m Breaststroke showing correct timing and a legal stroke. Pull, kick, stretch timing throughout the 3 lengths and two handed finish, with correct touch turns and underwater phases.
- Perform a legal breaststroke underwater phase, holding each section for 3 counts out to past 5m.
- Perform 25m of Butterfly full stroke with arms clearing the water on every arm pull, demonstrate breathing every 1 and every 3 strokes.
- Perform 50m of streamlined kick for ALL strokes (individually) maintaining good body position.
- Perform a safe, sitting, standing and racing (track start) dive into deep water, with a streamlined underwater phase for all strokes to the 7m mark.
- Understand and perform finishes for all 4 strokes at speed.
- Perform coordinated backstroke and freestyle tumble turns, and butterfly and breaststroke touch turns.
- Perform 150m of freestyle continuously, maintaining technique and skills.
- Perform 200m of streamlined kick, through the IM, demonstrating a knowledge of IM turns.